#TeamMemberTuesday: James Wilson
Everyone, meet Allegheny Valley Pre-Owned Sales Consultant James Monroe “Happy” Wilson. He’s been a part of the Cochran team for nearly four years. He’s lived quite an interesting life! Take a look:
- My first job: Transmission Installer at AAMCO Transmissions, Queens, NYC … A paid Work-Study Program while attending Automotive H.S., senior level in Brooklyn, NY
- Three things that you’ll always find in my refrigerator: (1) Beer (2) Pickles (3) Kool-Aid – cherry flavored (The Single Life is Good)
- My favorite movie and reason why: “Five Deadly Venoms”… produced by the Shaw Brothers. Growing up in Brooklyn, NY in the 70’s and 80’s was a different lifestyle than what it is today, in fact, a whole 180-degree turn for the good. Many New Yorkers back then turned to these types of kung-fu flicks to let off steam because for two hours, whatever was going on in your life, was gone and you fantasized about overcoming your adversities.
- My favorite book and reason why: “Sun Tzu – The Art of War”… Even though this book was written centuries ago, EVERY aspect of it still applies to everyday life today. “Know Thy Self, Know Thy Enemy. A Thousand Battles, A Thousand Victories”
- Favorite inspirational quote & author: ”Excuses are the tools of the incompetent that build monuments of nothingness, those that indulge in excuses seldom accomplish anything else, but excuses” – Anonymous
- If the story of my life was made into a movie, the actor or actress who would portray the part of me would be: Samuel L. Jackson, while in his Jules Winnfield character from Pulp Fiction minus the Jheri-Curl. He would tell my life story eloquently, accurately and colorfully
- The most famous person that I’ve ever met was: RUN-DMC, Whodini, DJ AJ, UTFO, Fat Boys and other Hip-Hop performers … backstage at the 1984 Fresh Festival Concert in Baltimore, Md. I personally knew a couple of those performers, so of course, my group and I were offered backstage access
- When I was growing up, my friends called me: ”PLEX” … My Graffiti Artist persona, or “HAPPY” is my Car Guy persona
- My favorite business for exceptional customer service and why: The Street Vendors in NYC during the summertime that sold Shaved Ice Cones on their street carts on your neighborhood block. They took care of EVERYONE, including some poor kids (free cones), where their parents that didn’t have the cash to pay. Spread Love is The Brooklyn Way… NOW, TO ME, THAT’S EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE!!!
- My dream vacation: Visit and take pictures at the Great Wall of China, so that upon coming home to the USA, I could photoshop some of my best murals onto these pictures from said scenery. China WON’T actually let me paint the walls because it would be punishable by LONG Prison Term and/or DEATH … I’m allergic to the last 2 parts.
- Favorite restaurant in the Pittsburgh area: Roland’s Seafood Grill, Strip District, Pittsburgh, PA …. exceptional Mussels
- Favorite entertainer: “The Cold Crush Brothers” … Old School Hip-Hop, waaaay before it was commercialized, plus their show was much better than today’s artists. c. 1979
- Dream car: Ferrari 458 Italia … YES, I can fit in it @ 6’1”… I’ll make it work
- Favorite Home-cooked meal: CAJUN MEATLOAF … nom, nom, nom
- Secret vice: Vintage Cans of School Bus Yellow Spray Paint #1809 and Fluorescent Hot Pink Spray Paint #7308 produced by KRYLON Paints….”Woooooooo Hooooooo!!!!!”
- You’d be surprised to learn the following interesting fact about me: I’m an Ex-Graffiti Artist from Brooklyn, NYC via Baltimore, MD, where I attended Morgan State University #goravens ….. But I still dabble with Graffiti in my Black Book creating colorful murals at home, which is much, much safer, profitable AND of course, legal.
- Top three things on my “Bucket List”: (1) 3 – Day Drive to California, (2) Create another Large Scale Mural similar to Sistine Chapel mural, and (3) Retire with a House Boat
- If I could have dinner with any famous person, living or dead, I would choose to have dinner with: Martin Luther King Jr. I would have loved to sit and talk with him about some parts of his dream coming true… all people coming together and electing an Afro-American to the highest office in the land …twice. We would also discuss the only other “Aliens”, who would be from another planet/or universe … All of us here on Earth are of the Human Race, period, … and WHY WOULD THEY DISCONTINUE TWINKEES???, I’m Baffled…
- The farthest destination from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that I’ve ever been to on this Earth was: Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Three things in life that I could really do without: (1) ”Mumble Rappers” … NOW, I understand what my parents thought when Hip-Hop was created, (2) “Twerking” … Your momma taught you better than that, and (3) ”Liars”… I already knew the answer before asking the question
- Favorite coach ever, and why: My Grandmother, Ms. Pearlene. She encouraged me to look for better in life when life in the 70’s and 80’s NYC was very turbulent or sometimes even deadly for a teenager. She wanted a better life for me and gave me the wisdom and her permission to leave NYC on my own to go to college @ 17, to change my lifestyle and become a better person. I just wished she was still here in the physical to witness this transformation, but she will ALWAYS have a place in my heart.
- My favorite Android/ iPhone app: ”Quicken” … Know Your Finances
Big thanks to James for a look into his world.
Will another team member be able to top this one? Be sure to check out our next team member profile to find out!